Sunday, October 28, 2018

Interprofessional appreciation

It has been forever since I wrote, so I’m not sure where to exactly start.
It’s been nearly four years since I wrote.
I’m in a new job and live in the city.
It will be nearly three years at this job.
Over these past few years, I’ve gone through a lot of mental health work to move through challenges I was having. I might get into that another time, but today I’m more motivated to write after a conversation I had with a medical resident last night.

Yesterday we waited all day for a planned Caesarian for a breech baby. It got pushed back all day as the ward was busy. We joked how labour's take time and this was nothing different. Finally I got called to come. In my community I get to be in the OR with families and remain MRP for the babies.

After the preop debrief the OB had with the medical resident he and I had talked a bit about birth. He had a multip at 5cm/100% effaced and “chilling” as he described. He said he had lots of time, in my mind that baby just needs to rotate and it will come quickly assuming she has contractions.

He asked about midwives and assumed there were more of us in rural. I loved his assumption. He thought it would be essential and just made sense to have midwives integrated that way.   I like talking with residents. They all seem to appreciate our participation in the overall care. I don’t get any superiority complex because their scopes are greater. They recognize midwives as appropriate providers for low risk births. It’s lovely.

It’s nice not working in a toxic environment.

It gives me great hope for the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment